Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:29:45 -0700
From:      Kameron Gasso <kgasso@visp.net>
To:        <js43064n@pace.edu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic

On Thursday 21 June 2001 04:59, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just wrote a little shell script that, on the machine I tested
> it on, crashed the box and forced a reboot. The contents of the
> script was:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> pine -i
> rm -rf $HOME/dead.letter
>
> Thats the whole script. I don't see how something like that could
> cause a kernel to crash. Would anyone mind trying to replicate
> this on a test box. If it's a security issue, i'll forward it to
> security when I get more information.

You might want to make sure you aren't having hardware problems such as bad
ram or a horribly mangled hard disk.  You ever have problems in the past with
things just going *poof* while compiling from a fairly large and complex
source tree?

Something as simple as that (start pine in your inbox, nurk dead letter file
once pine exits if it exists) shouldn't be enough to cause problems on any
machine in good shape hardware-wise...

Just a thought..

- Kameron