Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 15:16:04 -0300
From:      lioux@uol.com.br
To:        Marco Rodrigues <drkangel@snickers.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Postfix policy (was Submitting a new port)

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 04:08:44PM -0400, Marco Rodrigues wrote:
> 	Hello, I just wanted to ask is there someone I can email
> specifically to submit I port. I tried using send-pr and the web interface
> but with no succes.
>
> postfix/smtp[25775]: 71D85404E0: to=<FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org>,
> relay=hub.freebsd.org[204.216.27.18], delay=72247, status=deferred (host
> hub.freebsd.org[204.216.27.18] said: 450 Client host rejected: cannot find
> your hostname, [207.176.230.192])
>
> Is the error I keep getting, keep in mind I don't get an email returned
> back to me, but it's probably just in the que and I will get it
> eventually.

	I was having the same problems.
	The Powers that be decided that FreeBSD.org mail gateway
will refuse any incoming smtp transactions from hosts without both
A and PTR DNS records. Just like some FTP servers. Mine included.
	I am not arguing the policy, just stating facts. What is,
is. ;)
	Either get your mail gateway (ISP, University, etc) to
fix their DNS, pretty simple to do, or use another mail relay with
both records registered. There might be some free mail relay
services around your country. Unfortunaly, there are none over here
(at least, trustworthy).
	I configured my machine to hold all emails and send them
directly at first internet connection. At least, the modem bank of
my ISP has both A and PTR. God forbid they have as much work with
their servers. :)

	Regards,
		Mario Ferreira

ps: This really belongs on a FAQ. Or, at least on a notice.