Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:32:26 +0100
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@ans-netz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: system hangup - I'm lost

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 22:14 +0200, Oliver Lehmann wrote:

>   Any idea what I could do to shed some more light on this behaviour?
>   Why it is happening and what really is causing it?
>   Would enabling the kernel debugger really help here? I mean the system
>   is really hanging up - except ping response it is not responding to
>   anything except the reset switch ;)

If it's responding to ping, you should be able to get into the debugger.
Compile it in, along with "options WITNESS" and "options
WITNESS_SKIPSPIN", and press ctrl-alt-escape when the machine next
hangs.

>From there, it should hopefully be possible to get more info.  It's been
a long time since I've used the debugger under 6.x so some of the more
useful commands may not exist, but the output of at least "sh locks",
"sh alllocks" and "bt" on any processes that seem to be holding locks.
Also "sh pcpu" and "ps" will help to determine exactly what was running
at the time.

Gavin