Date:      Fri, 25 May 2012 22:46:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, rozhuk.im@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: proper newfs options for SSD disk

> Talking about another question, related to file systems on SSD:
>
> My netbook with the two SSD has file systems mounted as:
>
> $ df -kh
> Filesystem      Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ada0s1a    3.7G    567M    3.1G    15%    /
> /dev/ada1s1a     14G    8.7G    5.9G    60%    /usr/local
> /dev/md0        125M     88k    115M     0%    /tmp

try tmpfs instead od md backed filesystem for /tmp.
Really it is better.

> Below /usr/local is also my (one and only) HOME dir;
>
> I'm on the way to reinstall all with 10-CURRENT and I'd like to crypt the
> partition /dev/ada1s1a with geli(8).
>
> Any objections against running geli(8) on SSD?

NONE.
As i see you have one of these "famous" laptops with 4+16GB SSDs.
they are quite slow (they have pendrive/SD style stupid translation
hardware) i would recommend reducing writes even more
eg. change syslog.conf to:

*.*                                             -/var/log/messages

(all to one file, no forced sync)

You may put /var/tmp in ramdisk too, but it break few things (doesn't
matter for me)

> Should I split /dev/ada1 into two separate partitions, one for real
> /usr/local and one for my HOME and only crypt this with geli(8)?

i would make / on 16GB SSD (including /usr, /usr/local, don't divide
to partitions) and geli encrypted home on 4GB SSD (whole device). if
sometimes 4GB would be too little for /home then you would manually move
things that don't need encryption somewhere else.

Why? Your laptop have most probably slow CPU and it will make everything
too slow if you make everything encrypted.