Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 19:50:43 -0500
From:      "Gooderum, Mark" <mark@jumpweb.com>
To:        'Rich Payne' <rdp@talisman.alphalinux.org>, "Daniel J. Frasnelli" <dfrasnel@csee.wvu.edu>
Cc:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Alpha List <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: EBSDK discussion

> Multia has both at the same time.... well, you switch between
> then that
> is, but it can hold both at the same time (unlike say the LX
> that can only
> take 1 at a time).

In the Linux world there's even hacks on how to put MILO in one of the Flash
EEPROMs (for those systems that allow it like the Multia).  One would assume
MILO would be a possible  starting point for an ARC/AlphaBIOS xxBSD boot
since it has the needed machine specific versions of the PALcode MILO uses
available for most platforms courtesy of DEC, er, Compaq.

There was some discussion of SRM versus ARC/AlphaBIOS on the FreeBSD list.
The main advantage I saw of supporting booting via ARC or AlphaBIOS would be
to allow dual booting a system w/NT or Linux, which is certainly a nice
feature.  With ARC at least it's easily possible to dual boot Linux (via
MILO) and NT using the same "system" (or MILO) partition, just two configs
referencing different dirs and loaders.
--
Mark Gooderum
mark@jumpweb.com