Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 17:06:48 -0800
From:      "John Purser" <johnmpurser@home.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>, <newbies@freebsd.org>, <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Newbie thanking the helpful.  Reports incomplete instructions and stupid manual!

It works!  I finally got my FreeBSD box hooked up to the internet via @home
and the rest of my network (okay, two other machines) can use it as a
gateway!

Thanks to all those worthy soldiers who hurled their knowledge, experience,
and patience at the sturdy walls of my ignorance.  My reach now exceeds my
grasp as I don't understand all the implications of WHAT I've done but I
know HOW I did it!  Many books are on the way from Amazon and they should
correct this imbalance.

From my vantage point of experienced internet hacker (I've run ping AND
whois!) I can now report with certainty that all of the instructions were
incomplete and the so called manual "The Complete FreeBSD" is seriously
flawed.

Not once in all the web pages, archived letters, and helpful e-mails was I
instructed to check my spelling when editing /etc/rc.conf!  This major
oversight cost me many frustrating days!  And the manual just ASSUMES that I
know which NIC is fxp0 and which one is fxp1!  Stupid Manual!

Well let bygones be bygones!  I'm sure now that I've pointed out these
errors a crack team is at work to correct them.  Enough said!

Now, who wants to help me set up my e-mail?

Thanks again,

John Purser

P.S. If you reply please replay just to chat.  I only posted to questions
because that's were the people who helped heard my cries!