Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 01:18:22 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Eric Mandel <ericm@demented.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need some help with ipfw.

Eric Mandel wrote:

> I'm sort of new to BSD, I read the page in the handbook about ipfw and i
> sort of understood it, but the problem i have is this one person who
> continues to dos my system, i think he is using smurf(not sure).  But I
> want to make a secure firewall from most dos attacks, i was wondering if
> someone could help me in making this firewall.
>
> Eric

The demo/config file '/etc/rc.firewall' lists some excellent books on the
subject (and includes some simple setups) - that is if your running 2.2.5
onwards (roughly)...

If someone is smurfing you - get in touch with the people/ISP their either
surfing from, or (more probable) the people that their using as a reflector...
Most ISP's take a dim view of either being the source of smurfing, or having
their network act as a 'reflector' for smurf attacks... Either way you stand a
good chance of getting rid of the guy (and stopping someone else from being a
'helping hand' in SmurfWars...

-Kp