Date:      13 Feb 1999 02:01:55 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linus on IRC

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Sorry to shatter dreams, but Linus has been ignorant in a lot of ways.

I'm under the impression that the man himself would be the first to
agree. It's silly to make out Linus as some kind of God, but he sure
ain't no idiot either.

> He took Andy's Minix sources, changed them to work for Intel chips,
> discussed this all with Tanenbaum, Andy does however admire the work
> Linux has done but Linus has been an ungrateful `student'.

Do you know this? Do you guess? Generally, BSD people's "factual"
statements about Linux are about as correct and accurate as those by
Linux people about BSD.

Minix already ran fine on Intel x86 CPUs. I haven't bothered too closely
with the details of how Linux came about, but my understanding is that
the Linux kernel was developed to work with the Minix userland, because
that's what was available at the time. Minix quickly gave way to GNU in
a feedback process: as Linux gradually supported more of the traditional
Unix API, more GNU tools became available, and this became a motivation
to further improve kernel functionality.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de