Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:54:11 +0200
From:      Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup <seb@struchtrup.com>
To:        "Frank J. Laszlo" <laszlof@vonostingroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: alternative options for ports

Frank J. Laszlo wrote:

>>> Since we go to a *lot* of work building packages and making them
>>> available there must be a huge number of consumers of them.  We
>>> should be
>>> making more port variations.  vim-gtk, vim-kde, vim-athena,
>>> vim-motif for
>>> instance.  That way a pkg_add user and get what they want.
>>>

>> I assume that this is currently done by hand? To say build the vim
>> port with options --with-gtk, --with-kde and --with_arena?
>> Or is there a way to set this in a Makefile? Not only altering the
>> package name from vim to vim-xxx, but to define configurations for
>> automatic package building?
>

> using vim as an example, currently the port recognises env variables
> like most other ports do. e.g. WITH_GTK2, WITH_ATHENA etc.. these
> generally make changes to the CONFIGURE_ARGS.

Of course, that's what I've meant with --with_(gtk2|athena|kde). I
should go to bed now.

>   Regarding package building, there is an option (with the vim port)
> for PACKAGE_BUILDING which builds with the most common options. I'm
> not exactly sure what kind of answer you were looking for, but just my
> little input on the subject :)

I thought of a way to specify configurations to build several packages
of the same port (of course with a diff. suffix) [called port variations
by David]
E.g. build the vim port three times,
First, with default options and WITH_GTK2 resulting in a package vim-gtk2
Then with default options and WITH_KDE resulting in vim-kde
And then with default options and WITH_ATHENA resulting in vim-athena.
I don't know if there is a clean solution, but I remember that this is
(at least in some cases) handled with diff ports and setting MASTERDIR
and including the master's makefile.
But this would lead to many add. ports just for package building...