Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 13:06:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM, jflists@calweb.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

> no, they are bouncing mail which doesn't have a valid return-path...
> and actualy, you are required to specify this...

An SMTP server must accept a return path of "<>", indicating an
administrative message which should not be replied to under any
circumstances.

Much SPAM is now coming in from "<>" specifically because of this,
which is why you use the "HELO domain" and the connection infromation.

See RFC 1985.

> I agree...  but I'm going to look at better ways of handling this..
> like possibly teaching a machine about our "subdomains" so that we
> can have addresses like: "jmg@hydrogen.nike.efn.org@resnet.uoregon.edu"
> which is perfectly valid from the mail stand point...  as it is parsed
> as "<local part> @ domain"...  plus I have tested this with
> godzilla.zeta.org.au, and it was successful in accepting the
> connection...

This is not valind.  "foo@fee.com;@fum.com" is valid, since it
designates a route.  RFC821 (SMTP) servers must accept address
routes (for parsing; the can 521 refuse them, or "user not local"
them, etc.), but are not required to perform forwarding.

What happens with multiple "@XXX@YYY@ZZZ..." depends on the actual
parser, but the forma semantic definition does not specify that it
must operate that way.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---