Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 95 22:27 MET
From:      me@tartufo.pcs.dec.com (Michael Elbel)
To:        ats@g386bsd.first.gmd.de
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ncr53c810

In pcs.freebsd.hackers you write:

>> did. Unfortunately I get the following right in the moment when /dev nodes
>> are being built: (typed off screen)
>>
>> ncr0 targ 0?: Error (81:10:67)  (8/3) @(32594:0)
>> ncr0: restart fatal error.
>> sd0(ncr0:0:0): COMMAND FAILED (9  ff) @ f0559400
>> ncr0: reset by timeout
>> sd0(ncr0:0:0): FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10MB/sec) offset 8.
>> sd0(ncr0:0:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29 frn:01, retries:3
>>
>> fatal trap 12
>>
>> and a panic screen
>>
>> (I couldn't read my own handwriting any more so there may be some typos in
>> the above).
>>
>> Anyway, it's looking like something is still instable with the ncr53c810
>> driver. Anyone else running this board successfully?

>Yes, i am running a ncr53c810 as my second SCSI Adapter with 5 disks
>on them without problem. But i have stopped with the kernels before
>the last VM-Changes in current.

Hmm, a coworker got something similar with a ASUS board with DX2/66,
onboard ncr under 2.0-BETA and 2.0-REL with a single fast IBM 1GIG
drive. We verified that it must have been the drive/controller combo
since a much slower 80MB drive worked well. I'm pretty sure it was
some sort of timeouts, it consistently appeared when the cpio floppy
was extracted, i.e. the first time larger writes appeared.

Since he then successfully installed Linux and took the machine home,
I haven't had a chance to investigate that setup further and thus
didn't send a bug report.

*Could* it be that some sort of race condition can happen when using
a fast disk drive with a builtin NCR controller?

Michael
--
Michael Elbel, Digital-PCS GmbH, Muenchen, Germany - me@FreeBSD.org
Fermentation fault (coors dumped)