Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 23:47:38 -0500
From:      dannyman <djhoward@uiuc.edu>
To:        Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>, John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        chadf@bookcase.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: whose english is it anyway?

On Sat, Apr 11, 1998 at 12:42:33AM -0400, Evan Champion wrote:

> As someone noted, technically either is quite correct.  However, due to
> cultural issues you will likely get odd looks if you use American spellings
> in Britain and vice versa.  Given that FreeBSD is largely an American
> project, consistent use of American spellings would seem to be the most
> appropriate solution (as much as I prefer British English :-)

I bet SGML could solve our troubles! :)

Having concentrated in Linguistics, my inclination is to encourage use of
whatever English is widely intelligible.  Authorize or authorise to your
heart's content, whichever side of the pond you prefer to live. :)

--
  //       dannyman yori aiokomete       ||  Our Honored Symbol deserves
\\/ http://www.dannyland.org/~dannyman/  ||  an Honorable Retirement (UIUC)