Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:22:38 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Indirect routes with indirect gateways, bugfix

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 08:02:04AM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> >
> > I wrote:
> > >
> > > Unless someone has a good motivation for not doing this, I am going
> > > to commit the attached patch that disallows indirect routes with
> > > indirect gateways.
> > >
> > Okay, I will rephrase this.  Can you give me at least one example when
> > adding an indirect route with indirect gateway will work?  If not, I
> > strongly insist on excluding this code.
>
> Certainly.  You add a route to a host on your corporate backbone via
> a non-local router to guarantee that management accesses the accounting
> servers via a path that does not traverse engineering.  Of course the
> proper way to do this is with careful control of route tables or by
> using VLANs, but that's not what many companies have.  Large networks
> of routers and hubs are still commonplace, and this "hack" allows the
> network administrator to create dedicated routes from one subnet to
> another without requiring them to spread the routes across the entire
> installation.

Excuse me, but have you really tried this?  I assume, yes.  All I can
get is the ``arp: can't allocate llinfo'' warning; IOW, I can't make
such a route work.  Can you tell me what routing tables manupulations
should I make to make such a route start routing packets.  An example
with the route(8) command would be great.

Thanks,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,