Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:05:17 -0400
From:      "Brie Gordon" <brie.gordon@gmail.com>
To:        "Jeffrey Goldberg" <jeffrey@goldmark.org>
Cc:        Josh Kidd <jkidd@afflink.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best SMTP Gateway Program and Reporting Tools

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 2008, at 3:22 PM, Josh Kidd wrote:
>
>> I just wanted to pose this question to the list on people's opinions as
>> to what the best SMTP Gateway program (ie. Sendmail, Postfix, etc) [...]
>
> Depending on the nature of the site and needs, my preferences tend to run
> exim, then postfix, then sendmail.  But opinions will vary greatly.  Many
> very smart people for whom I have a great deal of respect do not share my
> particular preferences.
>
>> is and what the best log analysis tool for that SMTP program is.
>
> If I wanted to be a bit unhelpful just to make a point, I would say perl (or
> grep depending on taste).  It depends on needs.
>
>> We are currently using Symantec Mail Security for our  outgoing SMTP
>> Gateway but want to employ an open-source solution instead. My problem
>> is our main requirement is to have a way to view the logs on a web based
>> interface that will allow our system administrators when a customer
>> complains they didn't receive an email to be able to go into the logs
>> and search by date/time and view the activity for that period to
>> determine if the mail went through our system or if it was blocked and
>> if so why.
>
> It should be very easy to roll your own.  I know that exim comes with a
> number of GUI useful monitoring tools, but I don't know if this
> functionality is there.  But I do think that several of the tools come
> close.  They aren't web based, but X11 tools.  Also (if your privacy policy
> allows it) there's a configuration setting for logging subjects.
>
>> I've heard of and read about a few different programs like SMA and
>> Anteater and pflogstats, but I don't know if these will have the
>> functionality I need to allow admins to search logs for a specific
>> date/time and/or specific phrase/address on a web based interface.
>
> Maybe someone has already done this, but it really wouldn't be a difficult
> thing to develop your own tool for doing this.
>
> -j

Hi!

I'm unsure but it sounds like ESVA *might* be worth looking into.

The web interface is really nice and allows you to look for specific
messages and such.
Do you want it to be a FreeBSD solution? (If so, ESVA is CentOS).

Anyway, the URL is http://www.global-domination.org (Seriously.)

HTH.
--
Regards,