Date:      Thu, 03 Apr 1997 11:38:30 -0700
From:      mike allison <mallison@konnections.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, proff@suburbia.net, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Internal clock

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Since I don't believe even you think a person can have intimate
> > fore-knowledge of what someone intends to do with a piece of software,

> You plan to allow as close to "any reasonable use" as you can, and
> when it falls down againsts someone's "reasonable use", you correct
> it.
>
> It's not a matter of knowing how someone will use it, it's a matter
> of not closing off possible uses through poor design considerations.

It's not so much a matter or reasonable use, but reasonable use within a
set of established parameters.  If you run into soething that wasn't
planned for, but later think might be reasonable, AND won't work.  You
must decide whether it's important enough to rebuild the whole system or
move on.  I think we've seen that too often since MSDOS 1.0, System 7,
OS/2 and all the proprientary minicomputer systems.  The implementation
team has to decide what's reasonable and what hooks to leave in.  The
later programmers are charged with using those hooks and not building
something into their application which damages other apps through poor
or irresponsible programming.

I think that's Terry's point in "design considerations".  The Linux
folks  have the problem of EVERYONE being part of the design team.  It
win't be long before there are SERIOUS and INHERENT incompatabilities
between different distributions of the same LINUX release.

That's why you have and must use the core team to set the parameters.
You're never going to be able to anticipate what's even reasonable.  The
design team DICTATES what's reasonable on their system.

-Mike