Date:      Tue, 2 Sep 2003 08:02:34 -0500
From:      Henrik Hudson <lists@rhavenn.net>
To:        "Michael Vondung" <michael@vcommunities.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PPP, LAN and Newbie Frustration.

On Tuesday 02 September 2003 07:37, Michael Vondung wrote:
> Hello!

Morning :)

> - I get a dynamic IP address whenever I connect to the ISP and I don't know
> this address before I connect.

This is fine, unless of course you were planning on running a
mailserver/webserver/someserver for the outside world to see and then you can
either play with some of the dynamic DNS services available or your S.O.L.

> - I do not have a local DNS/nameserver. I understand that I can set one up
> locally, but that I would need my ISPs nameserver IP for this.

Yes, you can setone up and you don't "need" the ISP nameservers since your DNS
server will query down to the root level for you, but it is more polite to
ask your ISP nameservers first for info. For starters, since you're running
only 2 machines I would just use your ISP nameservers on both boxes and not
run a DNS server locally.

> Also, how
> would this help me if the host configuration is done before a PPP
> connection is established? Ideally, in addition, I'd like to use different
> ISPs.

Different ISPs all the time or just switching now and again?

> - I am uncertain if it is all right that the host names of these two
> machines are "fictive". With the old setup, both use "<system>.mshome.net"
> (something Windows assigns, I didn't choose this.) Is it acceptable to use
> something "made up"? (Let's say I own example.org and name the boxes
> freebsd.example.org and xp.example.org, would this be all right even though
> the machines have 192.x.x.x IP addresses and don't "really" exist as far as
> the outside world is concerned?)

I prefer setting up something like:  boxname.int.domain.com   (int = internal)
and yes, you can name them anything you like since you aren't broadcasting to
the world and are in private space. The 2 machines should have different
names however. Another issue, unless you are running an internal DNS server
or add the info to the hosts file (yes, XP has a hosts file as well..just a
well hidden one) you won't be able to actually use the names to get from one
box to another. IPs only.

> - I noticed that after setting up PPP, FreeBSD will automatically establish
> a PPP connection at boot time. It will only use the "papchap"
> configuration, and fail if I rename this entry. The problem is that the
> only change I made to anything but /etc/ppp/ppp.conf is that I added
> ppp_enable=YES to /etc/rc.conf. Where does it get the idea from to use the
> papchap entry in ppp.conf?

My PPP is really rusty..sorry. Check the ppp man page and/or the ppp.conf man
page. or look in /etc/defaults/rc.conf for any default settings related to
ppp.conf

> - I am in the dark when it comes to configuring the XP side. This is
> off-topic here, but if anyone has an idea, I'd be grateful for the
> assistance. The wizard allows for two "modes": XP being the machine
> connecting to the 'net, and XP using another machine's connection. It
> doesn't actually ask for any IP addresses, or lets me assign any IP
> addresses (it picks 169.x.x.x for itself when I make it a "client"). How
> does one configure this manually? (I never thought I'd see the day where I
> actually *want* textual configuration files -- but three months with
> FreeBSD changed this fundamentally.)

Don't use the wizard :) Right-Click on "Network Neihborhood" and select
"Properties" (or go through to Network via the Control Panel) and then click
around in there. I don't use Windows and don't have access to an XP box at
all, so I'm a little fuzzy. I would assign IPs manually at first.

Not a lot of detailed help..sorry...I haven't setup a PPP connection in a LONG
time.

Henrik
--
Henrik Hudson
listsNO@SPAMrhavenn.net

"`If there's anything more important than my ego
around, I want it caught and shot now.'"
	--Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy