Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 96 01:25:02 +0100
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ok, perl5 is out, but is the menu stuff ok?

 > It seems that Mark Murray said:
 >> Perl 4 is rather aged by all accounts. If all anyone is going to
 >> do when they get FreeBSD is barf and install perl5, is that not an
 >> indication that we should catch up?

 > If we want to catch u, then  we should ditch Perl  4 from the tree and only
 > use the Perl 5 port. There are obvious advantages in having at least a part
 > of Perl in the tree (adduser comes to mind) but:

 > 1. a full fledged Perl 5 in the tree will be too big IMO,

I don't think this is a good argument:

- disks are cheap
- you already have perl in /usr/bin  AND  in /usr/local/bin! So
removing perl4 and keeping perl5 in /usr/bin will give you more room
on your disks :-)

 > 2. a cut-down Perl 5 will  be a nightmare  to maintain and will be missing
 >    some useful things like extentions.

I agree. The problem I see with extensions is that non standard
extensions (eg Tk) will not install in /usr/local. However it may be
possible to make the site_perl directory a link /usr/local/something.

 > If I  had to choose  between the two,  I'd take the  former. A  full one or
 > nothing. I'd rather avoid both if possible.

Jean-Marc

 > --
 > Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
 >    FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #7: Mon Mar 18 21:28:18 MET 1996
 Jean-Marc Zucconi       Observatoire de Besancon       F 25010 Besancon cedex
                   PGP Key: finger jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr