Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 20:26:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        manny rosa <manny_robot_freak@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-newbie <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installing packages with no internet

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, manny rosa wrote:

> I've noticed that many of the ports I installed during
> the OS installation just have package info. pkg_add
> want's to download the appropriate files (which is
> excellent) except I have no connection to the internet
> on my FreeBSD box. I have the 4-CD set, hoping all the
> packages and ports would be included. I have another
> computer with internet access but when I try to
> download ports, I get the same (Makefiles and stuff)
> but no code. For example, I've looked all over the CDs
> and have not been able to find "The GIMP." I've found
> it online, but no package (tgz), just the ports stuff.
> Is it possible to install this stuff from my CDs
> instead of the internet?

Each CD has a file in the root directory called filename.txt
that lists the files on the CD.  In the /packages/All directory
are all the packages on that CD.  There are also sym links in
/packages/archivers etc.

Any CD you put in the drive and allow /stand/sysinstall to
mount will provide an index of packages on that particular
CD.

This is not (true) a solution to "Where, if anywhere, is
The Gimp package?"  However you could copy the filename.txt
from each CD to numbered files (e.g., CD1files, CD2files, etc.)
and then grep for the names of the packages you want.

What would really be nice is to be able to build an index
of the filenames on your hard drive, use sysinstall, and
have it say "please insert CD3" when you wanted a package
on that CD.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC