Date:      Thu, 06 Jul 2000 19:28:45 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>, chat@FreeBSD.org, advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Emulation (Was: No port of Opera?)

At 04:54 PM 7/6/2000, David Scheidt wrote:

>Only because no one has written a BSD licensed replacement for them.  I'm
>sure that if someone would supply them, they'd get committed.

Duplicating all of the idiosyncrasies of the Linux libraries would
require a "clean room" approach, so it would take at least two people --
not one. Also, ongoing "clean rooming" would be necessary to accommodate
changes to Linux as they came.

All of this would be a waste of effort compared to writing a *BSD* emulator
that would run on many platforms and get us more native ports. Making a
better Linux emulator is counterproductive. The better Linux emulation is
on BSD, the less likely it is that FreeBSD will get native ports of key
applications.

--Brett