Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 11:05:33 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 3.x -> 4.0-STABLE upgrade instructions

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> I've got no idea how easy it would be to do, but we could use a variable
> that we could set in the bootloader to specify where the /etc and /dev
> directories actually are.  It'd be nice to upgrade by creating a
> /etc.current and a /dev.current.  The kernel could then be told to use
> these directories instead.
>
> If, for some reason, your upgrade doesn't work, you can back out to a
> previous kernel, even if the new /etc and /dev aren't compatible with the
> old kernel. . .

In days of old, we used to have two "root" partitions on every system. One was
always a "proven" system and the other experimental. When the experimental
system crashes on boot-up, you just reboot on the older root partition.

And keep a boot floppy around in case you trash the boot blocks.

Two "root"s also solves the compatability problem for "modules", "devices", and
configuration files like /etc/fstab.

This scheme has served me well for decades. I highly recommend it.
--
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@Dataplex.NET