Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 1997 15:02:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jan Koum  <jkb@best.com>
To:        Almondale@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP Masquerading

On Sun, 1 Jun 1997 Almondale@aol.com wrote:

> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 17:25:02 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Almondale@aol.com
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: IP Masquerading
>
> The latest linux kernel includes support for IP Masquerading, so "private
> lans" can share a dialup gateway. What (if any) support does FreeBSD have for
> doing this. I have the most recent PPP binaries, but the routed command, when

	If you are using a modem, you can do it with ppp -alias (there is
a very good tutorial on how to do it on www.freebsd.org)
	You can also do the same with two ethernet cards - you would need
to get NAT daemon and compile your kernel with "options IPFIREWALL" and
"options IPDIVERT" - but read more about it in natd documentation/man
page.

> invoked with -q, returns "no route to hosts" or "can't assign requested
> address", and I get the effect described in the PPP manpages, namely the
> gateway host can see the internet via my ISP but *is not forwarding* packets
> back to my private LAN. I have invoked ppp with the -alias subcommand and
> given the static route to my ISDN-modem-equipped Freebsd (2.2.1) machine, but
> IP forwarding never seems to occur. I have even tried to remake the kernel

	Did you set "gateway=YES" in /etc/sysconfig?

> using MROUTED, but it seems to me routed itself *ought* to work? Anybody with
> experience getting this setup to work?

-- yan