Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:22:24 +0200
From:      Matthew West <mwest@uct.ac.za>
To:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: excluding a file/dir from a tar file

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 08:05:25AM -0400, Nathan Vidican wrote:
> I know the flag is --exclude, but where exactly do I put the flag in?
> Could someone post an example of a working version of this:
>
> tar cvzf --exclude /server --exclude /mail /server/master.tgz /

The -f flag takes the argument immediately after it to be the filename, whcih
is why you're ending up with "--exclude" tar files.

This should work:

tar -cvzf /server/master.tgz --exclude /server --exclude /mail /
or even
tar -cvz --exclude /server --exclude -f /server/master.tgz /

> Seeing as how rm doesn't like filenames with a '-' prepended to
> them, I've been having some difficulty trying to clean uo 600~meg
> '--exclude' files from my system.

rm -- --exclude

--
mwest@uct.ac.za