Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2006 13:12:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nicole <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        telmnstr@757.org, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EV1 Servers makes me sick

On 03-Oct-06 My Homeland Security "observers" reported that telmnstr@757.org
said:

>> Easy yes. Nice,  and good?  Define  Nice, or Good. On RH in particular,
>> you're stuck with either not getting fixes you want or need, or getting
>> potentially unstable ones.
>
> Okay, maybe I went to far with nice.
>
> But these are the things that make it in the enterprise.
>
>> FreeBSD, and Linux both have binary java packages, as well as the ability to
>> compile Java from source. Support on each is pretty much equal at this
>> point.
>
> They do, but the majority of support is going to be on the Linux side. I
> don't know about speed comparisons (Well, "JAVA" and "Speed" don't
> generally belong in the same sentence).
>
>> Heh. NetBSD and Linux are *less* hectic? On the NetBSD side, there's not
>> particularily workable, performance-wise SMP support, or any of the app
>> stuff you talked about above. On Linux, Its painfully rare for any of the
>> vendors involved to patch unless a PoC exploit has been written for their
>> distribution, regardless of what's being exploited.
>
> I realize NetBSD looses on the SMP tip. IIRC Linux is ahead of FreeBSD in
> regards to SMP, giant locked FreeBSD? I haven't checked out Dragonfly yet.
> When in doubt with multiproc, Solaris x86 10.
>
>> Every time you spread baseless FUD, Beastie dies a little more on the
>> inside,
>> --- Harrison
>
> I wouldn't call it FUD. I'm just pointing out what I see as issues. I'd
> rather run BSD over Linux, and generally do. But Linux has advantages, and
> is in widespread (and growing quickly) corporate use. It is hard to avoid,
> and there are some good ideas in place. Nothing wrong with copying them
> and doing it better.

 I manage a rather large instalation for a site that, so far, is all FreeBSD
based. Becouse of certain laking features however I have been looking at
various Linux versions. I have to say that to anyone who dis's the
FreeBSD install script, run off and install Gentoo. As for the other distro
's, after using FreeBSD for so long, I have to say I find it a little disturbing
to install an OS and like it or not, get everything including the kitchen sink
installed.

 Our new programming folks love it as it's all ready done for them. They can
insert a CD, answer a few questions and poof they can go about their business
programming and not have to be as much of an Sys Admin.
 Linux has become the anymans Unix. Answer a few questions and when done, get a
graphical interface for everything if you like. As someone else pointed out,
most people don't care as long as it's easy for them to run and does what they
want.

 In my mind FreeBSD is more Unix like. Linux is more Windows like. Lets face it
who has more market share, Windows. FreeBSD has tried to do everything,
whereas Linux went after the desktop crowd and grew the server aspect via sheer
userbase demand. When speaking about unix or should I just say, anything not
Windows or Mac to most people, Linux has become like Kleenix. Who asks for a
Face Tissue any more?  I even had a tech support person at Netapp ask what
version of Linux FreeBSD was.

 My opinion.

   Nicole

--