Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 2009 21:06:49 +0100
From:      Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Scott Schappell <archon@silvertree.org>
Subject:   Re: Getting rid of X

John Nielsen wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 August 2009 12:17:10 Scott Schappell wrote:
>> In a parallel sort of thread to the current desktop thread, when I
>> installed FreeBSD 7.2 since I had plenty of disk space and memory I
>> installed X, however, I don't need it or really want it.
>>
>> How can I pare that out of the system short of doing a complete rebuild?
>
> Install and run pkg-cutleaves, and let it loop through as many iterations as
> it needs.

To be safe, after you have deleted leaf ports you can install
ports-mgmt/portmanager and run 'portmanager -s' redirected to a file
then you will have a list of any missing ports. 'portmanager -u' will
reinstall them for you. Of course you can probably do the same with
portmaster or  portupgrade but I've found portmanager does a pretty good
job.