Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 1995 20:31:03 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   High weirdness with current NFS..

I generally have two filesystems mounted from my gateway machine, throck,
to my main development box - time.  Both machines run -current.  All
fine and dandy, except I recently changed throck's address info a bit
so that it's gateway address (the ppp line) was jkh-gw and its "ethernet"
address was throck.  This makes it less confusing for me to deal with
its dual presence in two subnets (naming it "throck" in both is greatly
evil and causes OTHER problems with NFS and the order in which stuff is
looked up in DNS, but I digress). ANYWAY, that's not the issue so much as
that when I changed the name, the mounts no longer worked and the behavior
exibited by NFS in the face of said failure is the "high weirdness" part.
I know WHY it fails, but I don't think it should be failing in this particular
way.  To wit:

root@time-> grep throck /etc/fstab
throck:/usr                     /host/throck/usr        nfs     rw,tcp 0 0
throck:/cdrom                   /host/throck/cdrom      nfs     ro,tcp 0 0

root@time-> ls -l /host/throck/usr
ls: /host/throck/usr: Permission denied

Heh?!

root@time-> ls -l /host/throck
ls: usr: Permission denied
total 2
drwxrwxr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Jan  6  1995 cdrom

!!!

/host/throck/usr IS there, if I do:

root@time-> mkdir /host/throck/usr
mkdir: /host/throck/usr: File exists

I get the expected result.  But to not be able to even look at it as
root?  Hmmm!
root@time-> ps ax | grep mount
   86 ??  Is     0:00.11 mountd
 5281 p5  S+     0:00.03 grep mount

Nope, no mount running against it, so I don't even have the easy explanation
of the inode being locked somehow as the mount tries futilely to do it..

Any other explanation?

					Jordan