Date:      Sun, 08 Dec 2002 13:16:19 +0100
From:      Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
To:        dmagda+fmobile@ee.ryerson.ca
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inspiron 7K and APM

+ David Magda <dmagda+fmobile@magda.ca>:

| I have a "device apm" line in my kernel config file [1], but there is no
| 'apm' device listed on boot (or in dmesg [2]).

FWIW, I have been using

device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management

on my Inspirons, and it has worked fine on my 3500 from 3.3 to 4.7.
(I haven't gotten around to 5.0 yet, but may want to run it on my
brand new 4150. For now, the above works fine on this one too.)

| When /etc/rc.d/apm starts up it complains that there is no /dev/apm
| which would indicate that the apm module/code is not initializing.

No, that only indicates a missing device file.  Fix by going to /dev
and running ./MAKEDEV apm (you may wish to do ./MAKEDEV apmctl too).

- Harald