Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:57:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Evgeny Roubinchtein <eroubinc@u.washington.edu>
To:        Wee Teck Ng <weeteck@eecs.umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux emulation under 2.2.8

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Wee Teck Ng wrote:

>i recently installed linux emulator in FreeBSD 2.2.8, and encountered
>the following error msg when running any linux program:
>
>% linux_date
>pid 356 (linux_date), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
>
>ldd also doesn't seems to work:
>
>% /compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd /compat/linux/bin/bash
>/compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: not found
>		not a dynamic executable
>
>this is strange as ld-linux.so.2 exists
>
>%ls -l /compat/linux/lib/ld-linux.so.2
>-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  158747 Oct 24 05:59 /compat/linux/lib/ld-linux.so.2
>
>i install the linux emulator by doing make all in the port directory, and
>did not modify any linux config files (eg ld.so.conf)
>
>% cd /usr/ports/emulator/linux_lib
>% make all install
>
>% modstat
>Type     Id Off Loadaddr Size Info     Rev Module Name
>EXEC      0   4 f568b000 0020 f5692010   1 linux_mod
>
>	any help will be appreciated!

Not pretending to have a solution, but I had a similar experience.  Here
is what i found by playing around:

* /compat linux/usr/bin/ldd is a shell script which seems to basically
call ld-linux.so.2 with some options

* the path to ld-linux.so.2 in the (linux)ldd script seems wrong.  One
could either "ln -s /compat/linux/lib /lib" as root or edit the ldd script
and substitute /compat/linux/lib/ld-linux.so.2 where the script has
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (is there some kind of chroot magic there I am not
aware of -- I don't quite understand the chroot magic anyways :-).

* even with this modification to the script running
"/compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd linux_foo", or, for that matter,
"/compat/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --verify linux_foo" didn't seem to work.

* I read in the handbook that on FreeBSD >2.2.6 sometimes things work
better if Linux emulator is compiled into the kernel.  So I did that.
(probably wasn't necessary).

* Notwithstanding the errors I got running linux ldd from the command
line, I was able to run WP8 with the Linux emulator compiled into the
kernel under 2.2.7, and, after cvsupping, under 2.2.8.

So I decided to leave it alone.  I am still confused as to how or why this
works, but that isn't the only thing I am confused about, so oh well ;-).

--
Evgeny Roubinchtein, eroubinc@u.washington.edu
WAF: Warn After the Fact