Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 98 22:43:35 +0100
From:      Ben Stuyts <benst@terminus.stuyts.nl>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Performance problems/hangs with today's build

I finally managed to make world and a new kernel today, but there is
something seriously wrong. First my system: It is a Gigabyte 586DX dual P166
MMX with 64 MB ram. (I tried a non-SMP kernel: same problems.)

A couple of the problems:
1. Various 'tail -f xxxx' that I have running in xterms, fail to update after
some time. Killing and restarting them works for a while, but then the same
thing happens.
2. I run afterstep as wm, and the clock in wharf stops after some time.
3. Same thing with top. No more updates, though 'q'uit works.
4. Reading news with trn to a local nntp, sometimes takes a long time to
fetch an article.
5. nfs from a NeXT box to the FreeBSD machine sometimes takes ages.
6. If I start the rc5 crack program, the whole system becomes sluggish. The
mouse (on psm0, logitech 3-button) moves extremely jerky, like only twice a
second.
7. Building a kernel with AHC_TAGENABLE, AHC_SCBPAGING_ENABLE and
AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO will hang the system. Sometimes a see SCB paging messages in
the console, sometimes the system completely hangs; ctl-alt-delete doesn't
work. Unfortunately nothing in /var/messages. The motherboard has a 7880
on-board, and the drives are:
sd0 at scbus0 target 1 lun 0
sd0: <IBM DCAS-34330W S61A> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd0: Direct-Access 4134MB (8467200 512 byte sectors)
sd0: with 8205 cyls, 6 heads, and an average 171 sectors/track
sd1 at scbus0 target 3 lun 0
sd1: <QUANTUM TRB850S 0404> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd1: Direct-Access 810MB (1660299 512 byte sectors)
sd1: with 3653 cyls, 4 heads, and an average 113 sectors/track
cd0 at scbus0 target 4 lun 0
cd0: <MATSHITA CD-ROM CR-506 8S05> type 5 removable SCSI 2
cd0: CD-ROM can't get the size
worm0 at scbus0 target 5 lun 0
worm0: <PHILIPS CDD2600 1.06> type 5 removable SCSI 2
worm0: Write-Once

I booted with an old kernel (18-nov-97) and that runs fine. (Top can't run
because of proc size mismatches etc, but at least that can be explained.)

I updated/checked my /etc for any problems, but I think I'm all right there.

I've ran current quite successful over the last months, is it just a bad time
to build today, or have I missed something? I looked over the past few days
of messages in this list but couldn't find anybody else with such severe
problems.

Thanks,
Ben