Date:      Sun, 03 Jan 2010 20:36:41 +0200
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn@stonehenge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't get "ZFS on GPT Root" to work.

On 03/01/2010 7:04 μ.μ., Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> I followed the instructions on
>
>   http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot
>
> precisely (annoying, because I can't cut and paste :) on both my VMWare
> machine locally and on a VPS from ArpNetworks.com.  In both cases, when
> booting from the hard drive after install, I get:
>
>      No ZFS pools located, can't boot
>
> Is it missing a step?  Maybe the zpool should have been exported
> at the end too?
>
> I'm using 8.0-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso on 64-bit VMs.

I've tried the exact steps on vmware fusion (8.0-RELEASE amd64) and
didn't notice anything. Did you get any error messages in any of the
commands shown in the wiki?
I found it is useful to issue sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16 at an early
stage. If you need to delete any legacy slices, go to fixit, issue the
sysctl, return to syinstall and enter 'Configure' and fdisk. Delete the
slice and then perform the

gpart destroy ad0

command as instructed in the wiki. Otherwise it might fail (it did in my
tests)