Date:      Mon, 25 Jul 2011 12:14:19 +0200
From:      Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Tilman =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Keskin=F6z?= <arved@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to mark portupgrade deprecated?

On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 02:42 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Change is hard. :)

In fact, that's the whole point of the story, ironically or not.

> I have no objections to someone (or some group) choosing to maintain
> portupgrade. I've always said that I don't regard portmaster and
> portupgrade to be in competition.
>
> However if no one steps up to maintain it, portupgrade will eventually
> bitrot and become unusable. So for all of you saying "save portupgrade!"
> this is something you seriously need to consider.

There is a difference in "saving" portupgrade and simply cold murdering
it from behind just because it's that particular time of the month for a
'change' (cough).

Believe or not, as a decade long user, I hated portupgrade from the day
one, and learned to hate it even more as the code base bloated and
everybody lost a slightest idea how it even holds together to the point
where it is today. I can still (though barely) remember times when
portupgrade was actually spending 95% cpu time on compilation and rest
on "fixing / saving / database / dependencies", in contrast to the
current 30% compilation time + 70% portupgrade database fractal magic
disco that nobody gets anymore.

That said, I don't propose (nor volunteer, for the love of god) to
maintain portupgrade - I just say - leave it be. As was already said
before me - change the handbook/documentation, feel free to wipe all
tracks of portupgrade from it, that doesn't matter even slightest to the
current portupgrade user base, as we don't read that anyway.

But I have machines and scripts that need to be kept up to date and will
need to be for years to come, and portupgrade is the current mission
critical tool for that. Change is hard, *especially* when there is
nothing broken with stuff that already works.

"Unmaintained" portupgrade is not a security threat, it's not a network
service, it may have bugs that nobody cares about to fix anymore, but
most people [citation needed] don't care about them, they're worked
around for years, and a stable bug is almost as good as a feature, isn't
it?

Again, as you said - portmaster is not a replacement for portupgrade. I
have no objections in its promotion to new users as the new, one and
only "approved" way of managing ports, but this in no way cuts it for
currently deployed portupgrade setups, where portupgrade works 'just
fine' (and can work the same for years to come). Deprecate it, or kill
it, and you will only force many current users to keep a local copy,
because it's still easier than a change. Is there any win in that?

m.

--
Michal Varga,
Stonehenge (Gmail account)