Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 19:14:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smxrgrav)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UFS on MO disks

As Dag-Erling Coidan Smxrgrav wrote...

> I have an Olympus MO330S magneto-optical drive connected to my 2.2.1R
> system. When I mount it with a FAT-formatted disk in the drive, it
> works just fine (at least I've never experienced any data errors) but
> I get a bunch of "Illegal logical block address" or somesuch error
> messages on the console. (Sorry if the error messages are not exact;
> the box with the MO is two miles from here and I didn't remember to
> write them down)

Sounds like the driver has gotten bad geometry data or something like
that from the drive.

> So I thought I'd try to format a disk with UFS and see if it worked
> better (plus the added benefit of a more efficient FS with proper
> access control and long file names). /stand/sysinstall slices it up
> nicely, but when I try to write changes from the labler, newfs dies
> with an "invalid argument" error. Now disklabel -r /dev/od0 won't work
> (though that isn't a big problem since I can copy an MBR back from
> another disk)
>
> Does anyone have experience newfs'ing MO disks?

Yep. I have a Digital RWZ01 (a Sony 650Mb 5.25" in disguise) and that
worked just fine with UFS some time back. But the RWZ reports itself
as type 0 (?) so just like a normal random access device. And therefore
uses the sd driver.

Wilko