Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:31:54 -0600
From:      mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anybody else seeing -jN buildkernels failing?

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 10:12:39AM -0700, John Reynolds~ wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After the recent OpenSSH advisory, I quickly CVSup'ed and set my script in
> motion to compile world and some new kernels. I forgot that I changed
> something in the script an my machine machine's kernel build died. I had "make
> -j4 buildkernel ..." in the script rather than just plain 'make'.
>
> This script also builds two other kernels (without -jN) and they both
> succeeded while the -j4 kernel build failed. I then took out the -j4 off my
> main machine's kernel build and it just succeeded. Here's a snippet of the
> errors from the -j4 build:
>
> ===> lge
> touch opt_bdg.h
> @ -> /usr/src/sys
> machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
> perl @/kern/makeops.pl -h @/kern/bus_if.m
> perl @/kern/makeops.pl -h @/kern/device_if.m
> perl @/kern/makeops.pl -h @/dev/mii/miibus_if.m
> perl @/kern/makeops.pl -h @/pci/pci_if.m
> rm -f .depend
> mkdep -f .depend -a   -nostdinc -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -I- -I. -I@ -I@/../includ
> e -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include  /usr/src/sys/modules/lge/../../dev/lge/if
> _lge.c
> ===> libiconv
> perl @/kern/makeobjops.pl -c @/libkern/iconv_converter_if.m
> perl @/kern/makeobjops.pl -h @/libkern/iconv_converter_if.m
> @ -> /usr/src/sys
> Can't open perl script "@/kern/makeobjops.pl": No such file or directory
> *** Error code 2

[snip]

> In my build script I always do:
>
>  rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNEL
>
> before firing off the make (just to make sure no left-over garbage might
> interfere with things). Why would a normal 'make' succeed and a parallel make
> fail? Is anybody else successfully doing buildkernel with -jN specified?

John, I have seen this from time to time in various releases;
it appears to be the usual race condition in which thread A is
supposed to build object <foo>, but is delayed, so that thread
B, which depends on <foo>, doesn't find it and fails.

I grant you that I haven't tried it after my most recent CVSup
run, but I suppose I can. I'll get back to the list in a bit.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea@mikea.ath.cx