Date:      Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:23:11 -0500
From:      T Kellers <kellers@njit.edu>
To:        Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Eric F Crist <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
Subject:   Re: Confused about sound servers

On Friday 02 January 2004 06:49 pm, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> Eric F Crist wrote:
> >On Friday 02 January 2004 02:06 pm, T Kellers wrote:
> >>Don't use both device pcm and the .ko modules.  The sound won't work at
> >> all or, if it does, not properly.  You may not even have any keyboard
> >> beeps (^G's) if both are loaded.
> >
> >I find I only add the device pcm line to my kernel and everything works
> > fine. Gnome, KDE, console beeps.  Everything works and I don't usually
> > worry about the sound servers.  When you install one of the window
> > managers, as long as you install the multimedia package, the correct
> > sound server gets installed too.  This has been working for me for about
> > 5 years now.
> >
> >HTH
>
> Update here...I have removed the entries in /boot/loader.conf and now
> only have the kernel compiled with my 'device PCM' entry.
>
> 'dmesg | grep pcm' shows my soundcard entry and cat /dev/sndstat shows
> it as well.
>
> I have rebooted after taking the entries out of loader.conf.
>
> When I try something like
>
> % play KDE_Beep_Ahem.wav
>
> I get:
>
> play: /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device
>
> What might be causing this that I could look into?

%play /usr/local/share/sounds/KDE_Beep_Ahem.wav
play: /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

I get that same message after I've shut down the arts server

However
artsplay /usr/local/share/sounds/KDE_Beep_Ahem.wav

works fine as long as artsd is running

%ps -ax | grep arts
14333  p0  S      0:01.69 artsd
14343  p0  R+     0:00.00 grep arts

If you have KDE installed, try:

%artsd &
%artsplay /usr/local/share/sounds/KDE_Beep_Ahem.wav

You should hear Mr Ahem clear his throat right from the command line.

Tim