Date:      Sun, 13 May 2012 15:25:09 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Jos Chrispijn <jos@webrz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CSH prompt

On Sun, 13 May 2012 14:56:31 +0200, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> In cshell I use this prompt: set prompt = "%B[%@]%b %m[%/]> "
> The problem I face now is that if I use this prompt with symbolic links,
> the presented location is displaying the symbolic link rather than the
> real directory name.
> Is there a way of preventin this?

Yes, a very ugly way which I just found out:

	alias precmd 'set WD=`pwd`; set prompt = "%B[%@]%b %m[$WD]> "'

Example:

	[3:21pm] r56[/]> cd /sys
	[3:21pm] r56[/usr/src/sys]> _

It redefines the whole prompt at any command that could
affect the current working directory (not only "cd" can
do that). This is needed as any call to `pwd` stored into
a variable will only affect $prompt once - this is when
it's set, only at this time $WD would be evaluated. So
that's why this strange command. :-)

Oh, and I just improved it. How about this?

	alias precmd 'set prompt = "%B[%@]%b %m[`pwd`]> "'

Much better. :-)

--
Polytropon