Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 1996 09:18:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        gwk@cray.com
Cc:        jas@flyingfox.COM, hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: motherboard and Ethernet card recommendations

> > > I hope this is not so frequently asked a question that I'm being
> > > annoying, but I would appreciate any words of wisdom regarding
> > > Pentium motherboard and Ethernet card selection for a FreeBSD machine.
> > >
> > > The criteria for the motherboard are:
> > >
> > > 	* rock solid stable;
> > > 	* no buggy chipsets or goofy cache coherency problems;
> > > 	* no weird hardware limitations.
> >
> > XX. ASI ASUS-PCI/I-P55TP4N  Motherboard w/256K 8nS PBurst SRAM cache   $ 210.00
> >
> > --
> > Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
> > Accurate Automation Company                 Reliable computers for FreeBSD
> >

> Wasn't there some talking about buggy UMC chips on that board?  Or
> does the ...TP4N board use different chips than the ...TP4XE?

Some of the TP4XE's used UMC floppy/sio chips that had some annoying
timeout problems, but I have not had a real problem with them.  I see
some stuff below from Bruce that indicates some problem, but not a
clear solution. :-(.

All the TP5N's that I have seen are using a winbond chip for this
function.

> And, BTW, does anyone know if their just-to-be released Motherboards
> with the 430HX (aka Triton-2) use any buggy chips?  I'm about to buy
> one of those when they've arrived the local dealers.  I checked
> http://192.72.126.1/Products/spec.html and found nothing apparent.
> Nice pictures, though!

Yea, right, how can anyone possibly know if there are buggy chips on it
before you can even get your hands on a board :-( :-(.