Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:09:36 -0700
From:      Ryan Grove <ryan@wonko.com>
To:        "Raja Velu" <raja@micronetusa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Browser-based FTP access as part of a web page

On Monday 01 July 2002 08:36 am, Raja Velu wrote:
*snip*
> When the firewall is enabled, this frame comes up with a "No page to
> display" error. I look at my "security" logs and I see communication
> going on between BSD:21 and the web browser. However, all of a sudden, =
> see that the web browser is trying to access some arbitrary port on the
> BSD box (like 49254 etc.), which is being denied (obviously, as I have
> opened up only the necessary ports). And the page returns an error.
>
> When I just type the FTP URL on the web browser, it works fine. It is n=
ot
> working THROUGH this web page only. With the firewall open, it works fi=
ne
> as none of the ports are protected.

This sounds like the browser is trying to open a passive FTP session. Sin=
ce=20
the FTP server is behind a firewall, this will fail. I know that at least=
=20
Internet Explorer has an option (buried deep in the advanced preferences)=
=20
to turn off passive FTP, but I'm not sure about other browsers.

This website has a good description of how passive FTP works:

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

In addition, (and I hate to advertise, but it just might help you out) I=20
wrote a GPL'ed PHP-based program called NotFTP that's extremely easy to g=
et=20
running and provides a web<->FTP gateway. It gives you the option to use=20
passive or active FTP connections. You just might be able to modify it to=
=20
suit your needs (or maybe you can use it without modifying it). You can=20
find it at http://wonko.com/notftp/

Hope that helps.

--=20
Ryan Grove