Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:23:07 -0800
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@alerce.com>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        hartzell@alerce.com, Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI Suspend, devd and rc.suspend

Kevin Oberman writes:
 > > From: George Hartzell <hartzell@alerce.com>
 > > Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 20:17:59 -0800
 > > Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
 > >
 > > Norberto Meijome writes:
 > >  > On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:45:27 -0800
 > >  > Ben Jencks <ben-freebsd-mobile@bjencks.net> wrote:
 > >  > [...]
 > >  > >
 > >  > > In order to make this work on my T43p, I set dev.acpi_ibm.0.events=1,
 > >  > > so that Fn-F4 generates an acpi_ibm event (which is handled by devd)
 > >  > > rather than a suspend event (which tells the kernel to suspend
 > >  > > straightaway). I have the block
 > >  > >
 > >  > > notify 10 {
 > >  > >         match "system"          "ACPI";
 > >  > >         match "subsystem"       "IBM";
 > >  > >         match "notify"          "0x04";
 > >  > >         action "/usr/sbin/zzz";
 > >  > > };
 > >  > >
 > >  > > in my devd.conf, so that it calls zzz, which does the right thing.
 > >  > >
 > >  >
 > >  > cool, that's EXACTLY what I was after :) thx man
 > >
 > > Is there any way to hook up
 > >
 > >   hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S3
 > >
 > > so that it also runs through devd and can run zzz?
 > >
 > > The atheros wireless card in my T42p doesn't wake up properly when I
 > > suspend/resume from X, but if I use vidcontrol to switch to a
 > > different virtual terminal on suspend and back on resume then it works
 > > just fine.
 > >
 > > I've add a couple of hacks in /etc/rc.{suspend,resume}, but they're
 > > not called on a lid close event.
 >
 > You might want to look at a couple of sysctls: hw.acpi.reset_video and
 > hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch. these might help.
 > [...]

I have sc_no_suspend_vtswitch:0 which should (if i have the double
negatives right) mean that I *am* switching vt's on suspend.
Whatever's going on isn't enough to let my ath card work.

I noticed by dumb luck that ath worked after resuming when I wasn't
running X, then tried switching via alt-keys, which also worked let it
work.

Dunno.

Sam's seen my ath problem and can replicate a similar one on one of
his laptops, so it's Not Just Me.  It's in his queue but since it's
not killing me I haven't been nagging (and now I'm really unlikely
to...).

g.