Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:47:29 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting root...

--kRi8yh5Cr14O/OFH

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 05:16:31PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
+> On Monday 23 August 2004 03:05 pm, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
+> > On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 11:46:12AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
+> > +> Why not have mirror create the provider instantly in an degraded st=
ate
+> > as soon +> as one disk shows up and then change from degraded back to =
full
+> > when the +> second disk finally arrives?  Isn't this the same case as
+> > someone jerking the +> disk out at run time and then shoving it (or a =
new
+> > one) back in without +> rebooting?
+> >
+> > If it will be started in degraded mode, it can be mounted and modified
+> > before next components arrive, so there will be a need to rebuild them.
+>=20
+> How is this different from jerking the disk out of a running system and =
then=20
+> shoving it back in again?

You don't want to rebuild a mirror on every boot after clean shutdown.
In most cases one can set kern.geom.mirror.timeout to 0 and there will be
no problem with this, because even after mirror start is degraded mode
new components are not rebuilt if there were no writes, but it will be
good to have more general solution...

--=20
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl