Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:15:28 +0200
From:      "Oliver Blasnik" <oliver.blasnik@nextra.de>
To:        "Barry Irwin" <bvi@devco.net>, "Dave VanAuken" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Gigabyte GS-SR101 and GS-SR102 1U rackmount...

Hi there,

(late but...)

Barry and Dave talking about GSSR10x 1U:

> On Fri 2001-07-20 (14:08), Dave VanAuken wrote:
> > Any experience using either of these in a FreeBSD 4.3 stable
environment?

Sure, got the 101 and it works really good. Equipped with 2 PIII/650, 512MB
RAM, a ZNYX Quad Ethernet in FastEtherChannel Mode and with 2 ATA-100 disk
drives (striped) it's running without any flaws - as an internal Fileserver
(lets say, for multimedia purposes... *g*).

I checked out the features of the 102, but decided not to get this one,
instead waiting for the 103 sample (which is going to be delivered to
us in about one month). Features are like the 102, but with 10/100/1000
Intel NIC interface, Adaptec SCSI320 onboard and IPMI support.

Barry said:
> Hardware construction is pretty solid, nice looking cases, cable guides,
> and rounded edges on the caseing.

Agree, construction is really good, and enough fans to keep that
hardware cooled. Btw, I can _not_ recommend the 101 as far as the
IDE-Raid is a software-only solution and the FreeBSD-Drivers still
don't support this correctly (ex: if one drive fails in a two-mirrored-
driveset, the system is going to hang).

> I've been wanting to get these in to have a
> look with but still waiting for the local supplier.  Got to have a close
> look at them about 2 months ago at the Gigabyte product launch.

2 Months ago? Hu? I have the 101 since.. Hmm... End of November, the
102 was available as an engineering sample in 03/2001.

> Barry

HTH, Oliver
--
-- http://www.nextra.de - INTERNET@WORK ----- oliver.blasnik@nextra.de --
 Nextra Deutschland     | Oliver Blasnik      Senior System Administrator