Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2017 20:40:58 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Sean robinson <seanrobinson134@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ARM kernel?

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Sean robinson
<seanrobinson134@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in finding a way to retrieve the kernel that the ARM version
> of FreeBSD has. I'd like to use it in a project I have for school. Is there
> a direct download link anywhere. Or do I have to extract it from something?
> If so, what do I extract it from and how?
> Thanks so much.
>
> Sean,

Hi Sean,

Some information on your experience level and what you are attempting
to do in your school project would be helpful in directing the answers
you might receive. FreeBSD runs on a number of popular ARM development
boards, but not all of them are supported. It is best to check the
list of supported boards before purchasing one if you intend to use
FreeBSD (which I obviously recommend!).

FreeBSD can be built from source or downloaded in binary format. Both
are available on the web. For the binary download on ARM platforms, an
SD card image is provided that can be easily copied onto a, er, SD
card! Downloads are available here:

https://www.freebsd.org/where.html

For the source code, you would be best directed at the handbook, which
is not what you might want to hear as it contains EVERYTHING about
FreeBSD. It is the best source for information and if you are serious
about learning FreeBSD, and probably your best place to start.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/.

Last, but not least, the wiki. There are some excellent entries on the
FreeBSD wiki that provide guidance on building for arm if you know
what you are looking at (i.e. some experience required). The ARM wiki
for FreeBSD is located at:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm

The Wiki also lists the well supported boards (which can also be
inferred from the download list).

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask more questions.

(Just some other dude that the mailing list people helped out)
Russ