Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 1995 22:08:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mmead@goof.com (matthew c. mead)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: talk - mesg y only

> On Sun, April  9, 1995 at 09:29:12 (+0200), J. Wunsch wrote:
>
>  > >     Why does talk want mesg y all the time?
>
>  > Ensure privacy for people who wish it.  If nobody can write(1) you
>  > anything, why should they be able to bother you with talks?
>
> 	No - I mean why does talk require me to have my messages on to
> INITIATE a talk with someone else.  It shouldn't!  :-0

I think it should, so that if the person you are trying to talk to
either a) doesnt want to talk to you and can quick do a ``write
bugger off, I'm busy :-)'' or b) talk back to you later after
he comes back from a coffee break.

It's not polite to initiate a talk session from a proc that does
not have messages enabled.