Date:      01 Nov 2000 09:19:05 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        rino@altayer.com, andyf@speednet.com.au
Subject:   Re: Securing boot -s and disabling CNTRL-ALT-DEL...

rino@altayer.com (Rino Mardo) replied:

> I agree it's too late.  It should be in FreeBSD 5.x when it comes out.

This has been discussed lots of times on lots of FreeBSD lists (which
is why I replied to -chat instead of -questions), but this is probably
a bad idea.  There are *very* few cases where disabling the
ctrl-alt-del reboot would improve security.  Basically, you have to
have good enough physical security to keep people from kicking out
power cords, but not good enough to keep untrusted people from sitting
down at the keyboards.  Such cases exist -- public terminal rooms in
schools come to mind -- but they are all situations where a default
install won't really have done the job anywy.  Meanwhile, the reboot
saves a lot of pain on initial installs.

FreeBSD's defaults should be as secure as possible from *external*
attack, but I think it's reasonable for the install defaults to assume
that the hardware is reasonably secure.  I understand that we have
added "security profiles" in the install, which should allow us to
have it both ways, so even if you disagree with my argument about the
general usefulness of this option, there's no reason for your approach
to affect the typical user.

 - Lowell