Date:      Mon,  6 Mar 2000 15:14:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        nm <nmanisca@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LONG, WAS: No cigar with 3.9.18 :(

nm writes:
 > At 09:45 AM 3/6/00 +0000, Doug Rabson wrote:
 >
 > At the end, is the log what I get when I run X (as a
 > user, using startx).
<..>
You should have a more informative log in /var/log/XFree86.0.log

 > I noticed that I had moused running so I killed it before
 > starting X.  X eventually comes up to a graphical screen,
 > but there is some distortion and it is definately not
 > right.  Also the mouse sticks to the left and top edges
 > of the screen.  I killed the server via ctrl+alt+del and

Perhaps you're using the wrong mouse protocol?  I use "auto" on a
ps/2 MS "intellimouse" on my AS200:

Section "Pointer"
#    Protocol    "PS/2"
    Protocol    "Auto"
#    Protocol    "Microsoft"
#    Protocol    "IMPS/2"
    Device      "/dev/psm0"
#    Protocol   "Xqueue"
#    BaudRate   9600
#    SampleRate 150
#    Emulate3Buttons
#    Emulate3Timeout    50
#    ChordMiddle
    ZAxisMapping 4 5
    Buttons 5
EndSection

 > the screen returned to text mode.  However Only every other
 > character is viewable and there are short horizontal flickering
 > lines across the screen.

Have you tried 16bpp?

Have you tried adjusting the modelines?

Drew