Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 16:31:20 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Group ownership (WHY : or .)

On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 07:42:33AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> Before responding, I had checked the man page for chown, which specifies
> the "newuser:newgroup" syntax.  Although the "newuser.newgroup" syntax
> was one I had used previously (on SunOS systems), I didn't try it, since
> the man page specified otherwise.

Both of them work.

> >Why there is both version?
>
> I suspect that's a question with an answer based in history....

You can have a '.' in your username, you can't have a ':'. From passwd(5);

     The login name must never begin with a hyphen (``-''); also, it is
     strongly suggested that neither upper-case characters or dots (``.'') be
     part of the name, as this tends to confuse mailers.  No field may contain
     a colon (``:'') as this has been used historically to separate the fields
     in the user database.

I can remember this biting me when I moved from SunOS to Solaris.

--+==[ Nik Clayton becomes Just Another Perl Contractor in 18 days. ]==+--
                      She's still dead. Deal with it.