Date:      Tue, 27 Dec 2005 22:04:32 -0800
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hp nx6125 again

Sam Leffler wrote:
> I posted a while back about getting a thermal trip whenever I take the
> machine off ac.  Zone 3 jumps from ~30C to 150C in 5-10 seconds.  I
> received no responses except me-too-style ones.  I just started looking
> again and noticed that this only happens when the machine boots with ac
> plugged in, _then_ you move to battery.  If you boot on battery there is
> no trip.  Also, Linux (Suse 10.0) works fine.  No thermal trip.

Something's not working right with acpi_thermal then.  Perhaps it's not
re-evaluating zones and disabling one that is now inactive once the
machine is unplugged.  The number of zones (acX) can change when power
state changes. Then it gets an invalid reading and thermal trip occurs.
  Put debugging prints in the acpi_thermal re-evaluation code.

> The last issue is that like some other folks the system will lockup if I
> let powerd bring the clock down when idle.  Lockups are easily
> reproducable but don't appear to be related to any particular state
> (e.g. I saw a lockup in the lowest frequency and also at one above
> lowest--though perhaps it was really switching to the lowest frequency
> and locked up before the printf made it to the console).

It depends what drivers your system is using, dmesg | grep cpu.

--
Nate