Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:05:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@fly.HiWAAY.net>
To:        derf@netxxpress.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  Tape Drive

> Hi
> I would like someones advice on a Tape Back-up drive
> I bought a Seagate 3.2 Gig back-up drive ( IDE ) and Freebsd dose not
> recognize the Drive.
> I was told that I need to get a SCSI tape drive
> Dose anyone have any suggestion and what would be the Best to get.
> I have a 4 Gig harddrive and I dont have SCSI on the motherboard, I
> guess I need to get a Card to go with it
> The System is a 100 MHZ intel pentium
> Please Help, I really need to back up my Mail Server

The NCR/Symbios PCI SCSI cards are the best bang for the buck.
Diamond Fireport40's are Ultra Wide SCSI and about $112 each.
http://www.atipa.com is one souce that appears to be FreeBSD
friendly (their web site says its FreeBSD and Apache). Also
saw DAT tape drives there.

http://www.corpsys.com also sells Symbios-based cards under
their house label. They also deal with used and refurbished
HD's and tapes. Lots of SCSI. Not always the best prices.

The other week I picked up (3) Seagate/Conner/Archive 4326RP's
thru http://www.onsale.com for just over $300 each inc shipping.
Refurbished but with (supposedly) warranty from Seagate. This
is a DDS-2 DAT with compression, so supposedly it will do 8G
on one tape, or 4G on the cheap 90M tapes. Or 2G on the cheap
tape, 4G on a DDS-2 120M tape.

http://www.basoncomputer.com/td/td.htm shows 4326's for $499,
or the 8000 for $599. Not sure what the difference is.

At work we just accepted delivery of an SGI Challenge L. Came
with the same drive I bought for myself above, only labled
"Seagate CDT8000". On the bottom it had several different
part numbers including the 4326 number. I know SGI has special
firmware in their DAT drives as SGI is the only vendor I know
of that does audio over SCSI to DAT drives.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)