Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:24:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Lew Payne <lewiz@netcom.com>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange Network Problem

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:52:34 -0800 (PST), Dan Busarow wrote:

> A more accurate answer would be, make sure that your non-aliased
> IP address is assigned the correct netmask.  Use 255.255.255.255
> for all aliased IP's that are within the subnet defined by the
> real netmask.

Actually, I use the "correct" netmask even with my aliased IP's.
If my aliases fall within a Class C, I use 255.255.255.0 netmask.

I'm intrigued by the responses advising a straight .FF netmask for
aliases, however.  I've never done it this way.  Can you please
elaborate as to the logic/advantages?  Is this "by the book?"

I look forward to learning a new trick...