Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 21:44:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        cracauer@cons.org, jmoss@ichips.intel.com, chet@po.cwru.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'bug' in /bin/sh's builtin 'echo'

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Shell scripts are, by definition, source code.  This is why /bin/sh
> is better than perl: no .so's that don't have source code.
Not in this case... I do not have access to the script, as it is imbeded
within an IRIX exectable, (technically in this case it is the miniroot).
What it does is this:

  'inst' <Bi-directional Pipe> rsh -l guest remote /bin/sh

'inst' then sends command and receives their response from the remote
shell, using those responses it decides what action to take.  Here is a
'typical' inst/IRIX command sequence:

trap : 2 ; ( status=$? ; trap '' 2 ; echo 'o?_InstProc1338IsDone\c' ; echo
'o?_InstProc1338IsDone'$status'\c' 1>&2 )

Note, that is generated dynamically by the SGI machine.

> > What is one supposed to do when integrating a FreeBSD system into a
> > netwrok where the hosts will call 'rsh -l foo bar echo baz\c' and need
> > that to print out without the newline  This is not a hypothetical, this is
> > what IRIX *does*.
>
> Set up an environment for the user "foo" that include a ~/bin in the path,
> and defines a ~/bin/echo that "does the right thing", i.e.:
>
> 	#!/bin/sh
> 	/bin/echo -e $*

I already tried that.  echo is a shell builtin, and is given precedence
over binaries in the files system, I found no way to turn that
'feature'off.

--
David Cross