Date:      Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:16:58 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: device sio vs. device uart

--nextPart1836995.10x4PzgRYH

Am Dienstag, 21. Juni 2005 21:41 schrieb John Baldwin:
> On Friday 10 June 2005 07:56 am, Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> > Originally I posted this to questions@ but got no answer so I'd like
> > to ask here:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > after compiling a custom kernel with device uart instead of device sio
> > I see the following in my boot message:
> > sio0 failed to probe at port 0x3f8 irq 4 on isa0
> > sio1 failed to probe at port 0x2f8 irq 3 on isa0
> > sio2: not probed (disabled)
> > sio3: not probed (disabled)
> >
> > But I don't have sio in my kernel at all.
> >
> > Can someone please explain me the major differences (besides the
> > newbus adaption) between sio and uart? And why is sio still in
> > GENERIC? And of course why do I see these sio messages?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> I won't get into sio vs uart, but you will need to remove all of your
> 'sio' hints from device.hints to make the sio devices go away.

oic, thanks. Surprisingly I couldn't collect uart information yet, I just=20
found out that I can't use uart for serial console (on i386), at least not=
=20
if all I do is to replace sio with uart in my kernel config.
Since I don't understand the code I have no idea why I would want to use=20
uart. Is it beneficial (on the i386 arch) to have a newbusified driver?

Thanks,

=2DHarry