Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:02:45 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: quick poppassd question

While normally not able to pour water out of a boot with
instructions on the heel, on Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 10:50
our dear friend Wolfpaw - Dale Corse uttered this load of codswallop:

> > Perhaps someone can shed more light on the subject, but it's my
> > impression that most system process run with a UID/GID
> > under 100.  So a
> > uid < 100 should deny the change request.

> Perhaps, though the trend is running most things as non-priv
> users, because it minimizes the damage to the server if a
> process is compromised. Generally "non-system" accounts seem
> to start at 1000 (BSD, and most Linux), or 500 (notably Redhat)
> so.. you may want to use 500 as the magic number for portability
> reasons.

And for adding users manually you can change the 1000 to whatever
value you want in the /etc/adduser.conf file.

If you use the plain adduser command CLI with manual user
options there is the -uid NNNNN piece.